Tuesday 9 February 2016

#ItAffectsMe in the Workplace by Laura Darrall

As I've been talking to people throughout this campaign, what has become a prevalent issue is employment and whether or not it is okay to admit on a form or to a colleague that you have a mental health condition, for fear that they would doubt your ability in doing the job properly.

I would like to state now that I know so many people who manage mental health problems daily, that are brilliant at their jobs, that are reliable, trustworthy and in many ways genius at what they do. 

When I first came out of drama school I don't know if I would have been brave enough to have been so open about my mental health for fear that it would have affected my career. However, now, eight years down the line I have proven myself reliable, solid and good at my job, I feel confident in talking about it because I know thankfully it has never affected my work. But that fear shouldn't have been there in the first place. 

In the same way people with a physical condition may have to take days off sick, people with a mental health condition may have to do the same but it is treated differently. 

People in physical pain may have their moods affected, they may become snappy or aggressive, weepy or vulnerable. But it is excusable because they are in physical pain. 

When someone's mood is affected by their mental health or mental pain it is seen as weak or worse, weird. But do you know what? It is not weak, it is not weird. It is understandable. And it is not their fault. 

We need to become better at understanding, at patience and at being non-judgmental, kind human beings. 

We shouldn't live in fear of ticking a box that says we have anxiety or depression or OCD. Nor, if someone is off sick with a mental health problem should they be scared to return to work for fear of what people might think. Nervous of the task ahead: yes, the recovery process: yes, but of people's reactions: no. 

It may be idealistic (I am an unashamed idealist) but I would like to live in a world where if I am struggling with a mental health condition I could rely on whoever I spoke to, regardless of age, profession or relationship to react in a way that puts me at ease, that makes me feel normal and makes me feel respected. 

That is not an unrealistic dream. With education, funding and normalising the discussion of mental health in the media this dream is achievable. Which is why we must not stop the conversation. 

I have anxiety, I have OCD and I work. So let's talk

No comments:

Post a Comment